After you've setup your Andros device and browsed the library of templates on Signage Creator, the next step will be editing your template. Using the feature rich Template Editor, you can apply a myriad of customizations to your template, which will ultimately be published out to your device. The following knowledgebase article explains how to edit a template for use on your Andros device.
- SignageCreator CMS account
- Mvix Andros
- Internet Connectivity
If you meet the requirements listed above, simply follow the steps below to edit a template.
Editing a Template
- Log into SignageCreator.com an d find the template you wish to edit. Then, your mouse over it and asmall group of 3 icons will appear - click the center icon labeled "Edit and Customize". This will launch the template editor in a new tab in your browser - make sure your browser is configured to allow popups, otherwise the template editor may not launch.
- In your template editor window, you'll now see the template you selected as well as a top row of icons and a sidebar of settings and layers on the right. These sections makeup the editing tools that you'll be using to adjust your template.
- To use the template editor, it is imperative to understand what makes up a template. Every template is comprised of one or more editable layers sitting on top of a fixed background image (that cannot be changed or edited).
- The background image is usually a design skeleton or colored background; this serves as the canvas on top of which all of your text and images will go.
- The text and images are all individual layers. A layer is an independent container of content that can be moved, made transparent, or stacked behind or on top of other layers. Layers simply isolate each piece of content so that it can be edited or deleted without affecting other parts of the template.
- There are two main types of layers - image and text. Image layers are for displaying any JPG or PNG image chosen from your media library. Text layers are for displaying not only text, but also any rectangular shape or colored area.
- You can interact with any layer by clicking it inside the template. Any layer you select will have its corners framed with white squares around its border to indicate that you can drag and/or resize it.
- Once you've selected a layer, it will also appear with a checkbox in the "layers" pane on the right side. Alternatively, you can also select a layer from the layers pane first by checking the box, which will then highlight the respective layer in the template.
- The layers pane lists all layers row by row, and can be scrolled through to find any piece of editable content on the template. It can also be collapsed by clicking the plus/minus icon in the upper right corner.
- Once you've found the layer you'd like to edit, simply check the box next to its name, and click the "settings" pane above to begin make customizations.
- The settings panel contains all of the tools to edit a layer. These options vary slightly depending on whether you're working with a Text layer or an Image layer, but many are self-explanatory
- The Font section allow you to adjust the font family, size, color etc. An optional text shadow can be applied in the Text Shadow section below, and the alignment can be controlled in the Text Alignment section.
- Bullets & Spacing allow you to create lists as well as control the line height of a sentence. Alignment controls the layers position with respect to the entire template; you can snap a layer to the edge of any side. V-str and H-str will stretch the layer to the full vertical or horizontal width of the template.
- Size & Position allows you type in pixel sizes to resize any layer, as well as specify coordinates on the page to position a layer. Background controls the background color and opacity. Lastly, the Borders section controls an optional border width, style, and color for your layer. You can also adjust the border radius, which will round a corner of your layer. This is a useful tool for making circles or rounded corners.
Creating and Deleting Layers
- The tool bar above your template houses the remaining controls like adding and deleting layers, as well as undoing, previewing, and saving your template.
- Once you've highlighted a layer, you can create a copy of it by clicking the "Copy" button, or remove the layer by clicking "Delete". You can also zoom in or zoom out, and optionally un-do or re-do any action performed.
- To add a new text layer, click the text icon below the letter A. To create a new image layer, click "image" below the camera icon. Any time a new layer is made, it will appear in the center of your display at 50% opacity.
- Lastly, don't forget to SAVE. You can preview the template before saving by clicking the "Preview" option. Then when you're ready to save click the save dropdown menu and choose either "save" or "save and exit".
Problems, Questions, Corrections: If you have any further questions, problems, or corrections you would like to see made, please open a support ticket at www.mvixusa.com/support/